Jan 19, 2011

Beorn 4


I sort of went off a little on these and just started doing strongman body structure. There are some fun ones in there. I think the last page, where the bodies themselves are bigger and thicker are the best of the lot. I used to love watching World's Strongest Man competitions on ESPN2 at like one in the afternoon. That sort of body type has always been interesting to me, where it's not the defined musculature that conveyed the enormous strength of those men, but their sheer size. I'm hoping to get to something like that with Beorn, but on a larger scale. He's what, fifteen feet tall? Twenty? Something ridiculous.

As some of you in the comments have hit on, Beorn IS a really simple character. He's big and he's strong and he's old and he lives alone. The origins of the character are obvious and singular -- Tolkien just wrote a berserker into the story. A giant man with a huge beard who builds long wooden houses and turns into a bear? And his name is Beorn? Alright.

Despite that, I really like the character. The giant bees that he keeps and his weird bipedal dogs that he talks to really seal the deal.

3 comments:

  1. Bravo, sir. It's great to see how you work through the character process. I am very excited to see where this goes. Thanks bunches for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the weeners, I want weeners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if it'll be clear but on the first page, the face in the middle looks like it has long hair... it's the line of the beard from the face at its left that makes it look that way but I think it's cool, indian style or something like that...

    ReplyDelete