Jan 17, 2011

Beorn 3


So, Beorn's coming along. I'm on a better thought-train with these, though I'm still shaking a lot of the dust of a few weeks without much drawing. The checked images are what's workable here. I think there's one on each spread. I struggled through these drawings to make something better than the second drawing in the previous post, and I don't really think I succeeded. I think I'm onto something a little better for his face and something a little better for his attire, but I think these body structures are a step backwards, or at least a step sideways.

A part of me is just sort of burned out on drawing big burly guys with giant beards. I'm desperately trying to find some new ground there to tread.

I'll talk about Beorn's character a little more in the upcoming posts.

I just finished rescanning most of the work from my 2009-2010 sketchbooks in the hopes of compiling some drawings into something you can buy. I have about 150 or so spreads to cull images from, so the book that I put together will have a lot of content. I'm shooting for around 80 to 100 pages and I'm hoping to have it done and for sale in the next few months.

4 comments:

  1. It might help to draw him more in relation to or interacting with other characters from the book. (i see you did some size relations stuff on the 1st page). It might help you get a better feel of what you want.
    I really like the faces on the 2nd page. They're the tops.

    Looking forward to this sketchbook for sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever you put the sketchbook together, consider a copy sold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Beorn troubles are totally understandable.

    I read The Hobbit for the first time a couple of months ago and was sketching all the characters as they appeared. I could never get a handle on Beorn; he's just so simple that it's difficult to make him look interesting.

    Also, I've never commented hereabouts, but I love your work; it's pretty fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When he's fatter, on the 2nd page, it's quite interesting... MAybe working on these kind of humty-dumpty shapes for the body could lead to something.

    ReplyDelete