Dec 9, 2009

Hobbits 3


Oooh ooh getting better. Proportions are getting smoothed out and I'm getting a better handle on the different types of Hobbit clothing. Third here is my favorite, I think. He seems Tookish. I do like the poncho-like traveling cloak, though.

In rereading the book, I'm really quite surprised at how little description of things there is. I guess all of this imagery from John Howe and Alan Lee and the LOTR films has leaked into my subconscious and I just kind of assumed it all came from the book. I know there's quite a bit in Lord of the Rings. Hmm. Can't wait to get to the goblins. I have some hilarious ideas for those guys.

Drawing is just the best.

5 comments:

  1. It's absolutely thrilling to follow your work and the evolution from ideas to concepts to final images... Keep it going !
    (I suppose that you may not want to be flooded with other visions, but I love Tove Jansson (author of "Moomin")'s take on "The Hobbit" - can find it via google)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with the travel-poncho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Brou - Tove Jansson's version is amazing. It's what I look at when I need to remember not to be burdened by the absolute specifics of the text. Really lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are super, I second Jordie on the poncho-cloak.
    Also don't forget about Tolkien's own drawings and illustrations, they look quite untolkienian compared to the Lee and Howe standard we're accustomed to.

    ReplyDelete