Mar 29, 2009

Vinylmore 2 // It's a Trap!

Perhaps you are already aware of the vinyl Munny Dolls produced by Kid Robot? They look like this:


Perhaps, as well, you are already aware of Atomic Pop/Books, Baltimore's most prominent seller of indie comics, toys, and generally alternative swag? Is it too much to ask that you are then aware of their custom vinyl show called Vinylmore? This is the poster for the sophomore event:

Yes, instead of doing the piles of schoolwork that have built up over the last couple of weeks, I spent my time sculpting and painting a Munny for this show, opening this upcoming Friday. If you go, you will see my creation. If you stay here, you will see my creation.

"It's a Trap!"* , Mini-Munny doll, Sculpy, epoxy, acrylic, etc.

Here is what the blank doll looked like at the final sculpt, without any paint or sealant. The green stuff is a modeling epoxy.

I didn't really have much of a plan when I started, but it was a lot of fun to just improvise as I went, adding things up. I sprayed it with a plastic primer before I painted, and then coated it at the end with both a matte and a glossy varnish to get a semi-gloss look. I hand painted glossy varnish over his eyes and teeth, and added opalescent paint to his fish.



In the end, I wish it were a bit cleaner, but I think it turned out fairly nice, all things considered.

Don't forget to check out www.sbosma.com and let me know what you think!

*Obviously, "It's a Trap!" is a Star Wars reference. One of the working names was "Ackbar's Bane," which is both a Star Wars and a Lord of the Rings reference.**

**I have a girlfriend.***

***She was the one who came up with the idea to use opalescent paint.

7 comments:

  1. looks pretty sweeeet! I can't wait to see the whole show..

    allstarz man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that Munny. It reminds me a lot of the end of John Carpenter's "The Thing."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job. This looks great. Wish I could see the show I love seeing guys getting cretive with these Munny mods.

    The new website looks sweet btw

    ReplyDelete
  5. shit dooooood that's shweeet

    i'm lovin' the crazy teeth things and the awesome parrot beak/crab claw arm thing. win

    ReplyDelete
  6. This absolutely is the coolest Munny eVAR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am also creating a munny and i put a glossy varnish on it. I am finding it to be very sticky. Did you have the same issue? Do you have any recommendations to get rid of the stickiness? I have to say, yours is awesome!

    ReplyDelete