Mar 3, 2009

Poor Richard's Secret

I am from Philadelphia. I don't know if you folks knew that, but although I haven't lived there for the past four years, I still refer to myself as "from Philadelphia."

When I was younger, I took a trip to the Franklin Institute, where I found out that literally every question the docent asked our tour group could be answered with "Benjamin Franklin." I was quick to learn that this is the answer to every question about the city.

Here is a piece that is inspired loosely by The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman. There is a brief mention that Benjamin Franklin is difficult to trust because he uses a pseudonym (Poor Richard). Here are some other facts about him:




Benjamin Franklin did not actually have a time-traveling rivalry with Mark Twain. I'm not sure whether he had a kite fetish or not, but I think it's safe to say he most definitely did.

Acrylic on Rives BFK, around 15" high.

My next piece is about Hamlet.

Oh, hey. You know Jeremy, right? He's a bro of mine. He also just won a Gold Medal from Spectrum for the best unpublished piece in their 16th issue. Boy, what a champ.

4 comments:

  1. I like the bell vandalism best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too good. TOO GOOD. I think I might have a kite fetish too, now.

    I have a teacher quoted in a notebook as saying "Ben [Franklin] really rocked the whole foxy grandpa thing"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work with the color here. I would give you an A (not an A+ because nobody is perfect and if I gave you that I would have to concede that someone is perfect).

    ReplyDelete